Can't get radio back in its case
Add Reply
Cursitor Doom
2024-04-28 17:07:38 UTC
Gentlemen,

I had a really strong urge to smash a vintage radio into smithereens
earlier today. I just couldn't get the damn thing to go back into its
case. The chassis assembly is fouling on something and it's preventing
it from re-seating. Plus it nipped my fingers when I tried to force it
in. I just wanted to destroy it so badly. I could have totally smashed
it to bits with a club hammer to be honest.
It just gives me a renewed admiration for repair technicians. I don't
know where they get their patience and forbearance from. I have very
little, personally. Maybe that's why I'm not a repair tech.

CD
Jeff Liebermann
2024-04-28 18:12:58 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Gentlemen,
I had a really strong urge to smash a vintage radio into smithereens
earlier today. I just couldn't get the damn thing to go back into its
case. The chassis assembly is fouling on something and it's preventing
it from re-seating. Plus it nipped my fingers when I tried to force it
in. I just wanted to destroy it so badly. I could have totally smashed
it to bits with a club hammer to be honest.
It just gives me a renewed admiration for repair technicians. I don't
know where they get their patience and forbearance from. I have very
little, personally. Maybe that's why I'm not a repair tech.
CD
You give up to easily. Pull out the chassis from the case. Shove a
piece of paper in between the chassis and case where you suspect it
might be binding. Push the chassis into the case until it stops. Pull
it out again. You should see some damage to the paper where the
chassis and case are binding.

When that happens to me, most of the time it's either loose wires or
wrong length screw.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Cursitor Doom
2024-04-28 22:15:19 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
Jeff, have you ever smashed anything to bits when you couldn't repair
it or just became impatient?
Jeff Liebermann
2024-04-29 02:27:02 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
No. If I want to exercise my frustrations over a failed repair, I
have a wood pile that always needs chainsawing, bucking, splitting and
stacking:
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/hRQZHVcHtykygudz9>
It's excellent exercise and also a good time to practice my profanity.

The closest I've come to destroying uncooperative electronics are with
devices that can't be easily opened or are intentionally designed to
be impossible to repair. Apple products come to mind. I save them in
a box to age slowly. Once fully depreciated, I offer the remains to
the various electronics gods as burnt offerings, usually on the
barbecue grill during summer and inside the wood burning stove during
winter. If I'm too lazy to fix something, I sell it on eBay as "parts
only". When I was younger and didn't have a proper alter on which to
process burnt offerings, I practiced cannibalism by unsoldering any
parts and pieces could be salvaged. I also owned a large axe (named
"coin return"), which was quite useful for reducing large repair
problems into smaller repair problems.
Cursitor Doom
2024-04-29 11:27:35 UTC
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
That's a great idea, Jeff - break the problem down into small,
manageable parts. Then scrape them up and toss them in the garbage.
Every one's a winner! :-D
Jeff Liebermann
2024-04-29 18:00:38 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Jeff Liebermann
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
Thanks, but such pre-processing is not an original idea for recycling
electronics. Shredding and granulating electronics is exactly what
the eWaste recyclers do today.
<https://www.simslifecycle.com/business/e-waste-recycling/how-we-do-it/>
Shredding old printers:
<https://www.shredwell-recycling.com/product-items/scrap-printers-shredding/>