Capacitor Terminals
Cursitor Doom
2024-02-27 17:08:39 UTC
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?

https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
John
2024-02-27 17:19:18 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
but it's what I'd guess.

john
Cursitor Doom
2024-02-27 18:18:12 UTC
Post by John
Post by Cursitor Doom
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
but it's what I'd guess.
Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a
schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!

Here's a better picture of the markings:
https://disk.yandex.com/i/wwUt6kX-BjCAXg

And the just to the right of those, there's this:

051 55473
M HP 9420 :
40/085/56

Not sure if that helps at all or not!
ehsjr
2024-02-27 23:13:21 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by John
Post by Cursitor Doom
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can,
with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better
look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got,
but it's what I'd guess.
Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a
schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!
https://disk.yandex.com/i/wwUt6kX-BjCAXg
051 55473
40/085/56
Not sure if that helps at all or not!
Those "extra" pins are there to give it mechanical
mounting strength. Pins 1 and 5 are the electrical
connections - pins 2,3 and 4 give it additional
stability/strength.

Datasheet at:
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/12126.pdf

Ed
Cursitor Doom
2024-02-28 00:58:52 UTC
Post by ehsjr
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by John
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
many thanks indeed for that, Ed (and good guess, Liz!)

Liz Tuddenham
2024-02-27 22:08:50 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
Three of them may be common negative, physically arranged to hold the
capacitor firmly on a PC board.
--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Cursitor Doom
2024-02-27 22:19:20 UTC
Post by Liz Tuddenham
Post by Cursitor Doom
This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations.
However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put
5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?
https://disk.yandex.com/i/P9WCxzmjaAkPMw
Three of them may be common negative, physically arranged to hold the
capacitor firmly on a PC board.
I certainly hope so!